The James Firm

Alcoholic Beverage Licensing

Liquor Licensing

Liquor Licensing made Fast, Smooth, and Easy!

Schedule a FREE Consultation

Name *

Obtaining a retail license for alcoholic beverage sales in New York involves the submission of a lengthy and complex application. Our value lies in the results that we deliver. The licensing process can be overwhelming to the unaware or ill-advised, resulting in delays in the application process or denial of the application entirely. Making sure that all of your licensing is in order for optimal business operations is a priority of every restaurant, bar, hotel and nightclub. Utilizing an experienced liquor licensing attorney can save you time and expedite the application process.

Our firm handles all of the necessary requirements to obtain a license including the corporate, leasing, and licensing aspects.   

See what our clients say about us!

Frequently asked Questions

+ What are the requirements?

In order for an applicant to obtain a liquor license under Alcoholic Beverage Control Law the applicant must:

• Be 21 years old or older • Be a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident • Have a valid social security number • Have a valid lease agreement

The following are disqualifications to obtaining liquor license under the Alcoholic Beverage Control Law:

• Applicant is a police officer • Applicant holds an interest in a wholesale license • Applicant has a felony conviction For further information see our frequently asked questions below or contact us to schedule a consultation.

+ Can I obtain a liquor license if my premises is near a church or school?

It depends. The 200 foot rule restricts the State Liquor Authority (SLA) from issuing liquor licenses to establishments "on the same street or avenue and within 200 feet of a building occupied exclusively as a school, church, synagogue or other place of worship." The 200 foot rule applies if it is a retail establishment where liquor will be sold for consumption on premises or an establishment where liquor and wine will be sold for consumption off premises. It's worth noting that the 200 foot rule does not apply to establishments seeking to serve only wine and beer.

+ How long will it take to obtain my license?

Our office practice is to begin working on your file the same day we are retained, saving time and keeping the process smooth.

It can take approximately three months to obtain an On-Premises license and two months to obtain an Off-Premise license. The application process can also be expedited with our Attorney-Certification service which can normally reduce the processing time by a month. Applicants applying by themselves normally see timeframes of six months to a year. This is due to the steep learning curve and inexperience with handling the various moving parts of the process. Our expertise helps you avoid the common pitfalls that delays or denies applications.

+ How much will it cost?

The cost to obtain your license will depend on several factors, such as, the location of the premises, the type of license you're seeking, and the complexity of your case. The State Liquor Authority provides a schedule of fees here.

+ Do you provide any other services?

Yes. We assist our clients in forming corporations and LLC’s, purchasing or selling their business, reviewing and negotiating lease agreements, and purchasing or selling their commercial property.

Looking to get started? To schedule a complimentary consultation regarding your liquor license application, please click the button below or call us at (212) 845-9909 in New York City, or (516) 858-5887 in Garden City, Long Island.